THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES
Our Adventures in Homeschooling and Life

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Duty Jar

On a homeschooling blog I was reading I saw where a mom was using a "Duty Jar". I really enjoyed her idea and decided to use it in our family. The boys each have their own jars and then theres the main "duty jar". Every week I "Auction" off extra chores, such as sweeping the driveway, or cleaning door frames in the house, stuff like that. One of the boys buys the extra chore for 1/3 or 1/2 of the maximum I'm willing to pay for it. Then when the chore is done they get paid the full amount I was willing to pay for them doing the chore. What they buy the chore for depends on how much they actually make on the chore. The boys also came up with an auction between themselves where they sell each other the mandatory chores I assign and pay each other for doing them. The kids seem to think this process is very exciting and are always asking me if I have any chores to auction off. LOL.
The kids jars are also used to pay a duty. If they use ugly words, yell, hit or anything like that they pay a "duty" for the offense to the duty jar. If they don't have the money they can "work off" the amount owed. If they are in debt for more than 2 weeks they have to do everyones chores for free for one day. But theres also an upside. If they have all good marks on chores, lessons, behavior, etc from their star chart for 4 weeks they can claim all the money in the main "duty jar". But that can be a risk cause they aren't allowed to know the amount in the jar. LOL. But it makes it fun.
*And we aren't using real money. We are using the fake money I printed for our "store".

0 comments: