THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES
Our Adventures in Homeschooling and Life

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The kid’s chores

We have struggled a little from time to time with the kids doing their chores and doing them right. I suffer from depression and when I get down I count on them to do their chores without me having to stay on them on all the time. But does it work? Nope. They take advantage every time and slack off.
Anyways, I’m on the good side again. We have been doing a “pay check” for several months now. They would get paid a certain amount each week for doing their chores. And lose some of it for not. They would get to spend the “play” money at the “family store”. Well, the incentive of earning money hasn’t been working as well as it has been. And the thought of losing it for not doing the chore wasn’t enough. Their behavior was slacking as well. So to fix this we have recently starting using a “duty jar” (a suggestion from a blog I’ve been reading) It started out with auctioning off chores, but has since changed. Now I give the kids certain chores in the evening, brush teeth, put on deodorant, make bed, etc. for the next day. Those chores I won’t pay them for. But then I out the rest of the household chores in the”duty jar” and they draw the chores they will do the next day. There is an amount on the back of each chore that I am willing to pay. (.25, .50, etc) When they turn in the chore they get paid. If they turn it in and it’s not done right I return it. If they don’t get it right the second time, they pay me the amount on the back of the card. Also if I end up doing one of their chores, they pay me. They don’t like it. Also they are getting fined for behavior. Name calling, not cleaning up after themselves, etc, they pay a fee. Maybe this will make a difference. I certainly hope so.

0 comments: